Friday 20 February 2009

Task 4

Corporate Social Responsibility


Company’s actions can determine the prosperity of communities and the health of the environment. The world’s ten largest companies employed three million people in 1991. Their gross sales were over eight hundred billion dollars. With this power comes responsibility.

Because these large companies have the power does not mean they have the right to abuse that power. 

The people of Flint Michigan know all too well how this can affect a community. In 1988 the CEO of General Motors, Roger Smith closed several of their plants in Flint Michigan, fired 30,000 employees, outsourced the jobs to Mexico where they could pay the workers half what they paid the employees in Michigan and took the profits and invested into other larger companies. The city of Flint eventually fell into financial hardships and in an issue of Money magazine Flint was chosen as "the worst place to live in America". 

 

Years ago ethics was more in terms of administrative compliance and legal standards. Today more than ever companies, professional firms and individuals are being held responsible for their actions, as a demand for higher standards of corporate social responsibility. In order to grow and thrive companies must have the respect and confidence of their clients. 

A business doesn't exist alone, only as a means of making money. The employees depend on the business. Customers, suppliers and the local community are affected by a company and what that company does. The products, and the way they are made have an impact on the environment.


Google made the list of one of the world’s most ethical companies in 2008. From the start they have been involved in being a responsible and reducing their impact on the environment. Their company contributed over $75 million in investments and grants around the world to help in such issues as climate change, poverty, disasters and disease. The company also encourages their staff to become involved in these efforts on many different levels as well and regularly communicates the importance of ethics and compliance to its employers. 



As far as work my own work ethics go, I believe in hard work, professionalism, a positive attitude, treating people well and caring about the work I do and doing it to the best of my ability. Running a business I have a responsibility to my clients, employees and my community to be honest and human. I think it comes down to strong ‘life ethics’. How positive do I live my life? It always connects into your business and how it is run.

 

My friend Amelia used to work in hotel management. At the end of every shift, before she would leave for the day, her manager would shake her hand and tell her how nice it was working with her that day. She did not get bonuses that often or paid holiday vacations, but she told me that the handshake each day really made her feel like her work mattered and she was being acknowledged. 

That story always comes to mind when I think about the type of leader I want to be in my business. A positive attitude goes a long way. For the most part I think people really want to know they are doing a good job and that their work matters. I believe if you treat your employees well you will get good work in return. It is key to strong company growth.

 

Sources: Corporate Responsibility, Tom Cannon, pg.1

Roger and me, directed by Michael Moore

http://www.enterweb.org/ethics.htm

http://ethisphere.com/wme2008/

 

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=CSTB&p_theme=cstb&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EB36D7CA54FD337&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

 

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1075408468

 

1 comment:

roula said...

I really like your way of thinking and your positive view to everythg around you,, and most of all your energy,,, give me moree,lol
cheers