Monday 17 November 2008

I went to the see The Cold War Modern exhibit at the V & A Museum last week. The revolutionary period of the 1960s and the artist that pushed the envelope with their work inspired me most.
The Revolution Period in the 1960s was a time in which masses of people felt that going out in the streets and protesting was a more effective way of changing society than going to the ballots to cast a vote. Many throughout this period protested the wars and society in this manner.
Many artists and designers showed their views about war and society through their work.
One designer I found very inspiring in this time period was Jiri Kolar. He designed this poster using material that he gathered throughout that year (1968) that was circulating in the Czech media.

A diary of 1968, Entrée
Jirí Kolár (1914-2002). Czechoslovakia, 1968


I was very much inspired by his collage designs. He did not use fancy computer programs or computers, but rather used things around him to create a message; papers, restaurant menus, newspapers, etc. I find a real passion and connection with his style of work.






I am going back to basics for my project and ready to get my hands dirty. I am designing for elegant frugality and this gathering of information and designing just as Jirí Kolár did just makes sense.

 

No comments: