Saturday 25 October 2008

On a Mission....

So I am working on the research phase of my design project and I am on a mission for answers.

I am starting with my own experiences. What do I know about all of this?

I am pretty frugal. I grew up making my own clothes, sewing and making crafts. I shopped at second hand stores and would revamp the clothes to make them ‘new’ to me.

My mother was very resourceful with what she had and I guess that must have rubbed off on me through the years.

I try to make attempts every day to think about what I am leaving behind. I do small things like use reusable tote bags for my shopping verses plastic. I bring my own coffee cup with me verses a throw away cup. I walk more and use transportation less when I know I can get there by foot. I just keep my eyes and mind open to new possibilities.

I am always finding new ways to use things that I never thought about before. My space is filled with items I am reusing.



This is a cookie container I am now using for my sugar. It keeps it fresh!



The butter containers are great for leftovers! I also use them for craft supplies; buttons, needles, thread,...I could go on here. These are great!! 



I have a bag I put all of my recycling in...



I bought a friend a gift and needed wrapping paper. That newspaper recycling collection came in handy!





Many people I know buy excessive amounts of water bottles, even in one days time. I just keep with one bottle and fill it when I need more water. I have read many article recently that the quality of bottled water is the same of that from the tap!! Really!




Instead of going to shops to buy brand new pots and pans, I go to the second-hand shops and find really great items for much much cheaper!!! I bought all of this for under £6!!!




I bought some mixed vegetables for stir-fry, which came in this handy little plastic container. I like to use this container for other food I am trying to keep organized in my refrigerator, like cheese and other vegetables I have cut up and need a container for later use. Just brilliant!





I love my coffee cup! So many people run to coffee shops and get those plastic or paper cups for their coffee. I just make my own coffee at home and use my own cup. This is Eco friendly and saves me a lot of money!




This is my favorite shopping bag here. I bring it everywhere I go, especially if I know I am going shopping!! I just put it in my purse. It doesn’t take up any room at all and saves me from taking home any plastic bags. I give reusable bags to friends and family for birthdays and holiday gifts!



My mother told me this story a week ago.
“...Veggies, onions still came in plastic mesh bags, I have one now. I had seen commercial ones in the store and they cost. If you roll them into a loop, they made great pot scrubbers, and didn't damage pan surfaces, Teflon etc. And cleaned good, walls the car everything.”





Just a few days later I came across a mesh bag used to carry fruit that a roommate had thrown in the garbage. I took it out and washed it off. She was right! It cleans the dishes much better than my green scrub sponge and will not scratch my pots and pans! Happy days!




I found this pasta sauce container works perfect for my toothbrush and toothpaste.




1 comment:

amelia said...

That's awesome. You've inspired me!! I'm getting better...you should see the empty laundry detergent container that is now holding all my bathroom goods :)