Tuesday 21 October 2008

An aspect of my chosen design and my research process

I am keeping the subject a bit general for the time, but I will be adding more specifics later; photographs, notes and sketches.


My first step in this process is the problem.

1. What are the problems and issue out there? Where do I begin?...

Since my project is Design for Elegant Frugality, there are many ways to go about the project. It could be a packaging challenge, a societal problem, or a consumerism issue...

My second step is Primary Research

I took my own experiences into account.

I had my own recent experience that involved my chosen project. I went shopping and purchased an item with excessive packaging. I wasn’t out to buy a product with so much packaging. As a consumer there was little choice when it came to the particular product. This item was packaged the same way regardless of company or price really.

One aspect of my project research would be investigating my subject.

2. I thought about the need for a better product.

3. What are the other companies doing? Is there a different way other companies are packaging this same product?

4. How can I solve this problem?


I took notes along with photographs of my recent purchase and all that came along with it! I kept all of the items of interest for further research in the future.

I then went out and began taking photographs and gathering information. I went to stores to take photographs of existing packaging items. Took photos of many different brands and styles of the same product. I also searched on the Internet for images of packaging for the same product



I then interviewed people about the subject. I asked students, roommates and friends their views and feelings about the subject.

1. I asked them what they thought about the existing packaging

2. I asked if they thought there was a problem

3. I asked them if they felt it could be done better

Many of the people I interviewed had very diverse and insightful ideas about the subject.

I took notes and compared them to each other. I saved the information for future reference



My third step in the process was Pure Research

After interviewing and gathering all of the information thus far I began doing a bit of pure research, which involved a few repackaging ideas. I drew up some sketches and wrote down notes from all the information I received and began thinking of what might work in place of what is already in the market today.


At this point I have not gotten any further than this step.



My next steps would be:

I would start secondary research to come up with more information on this subject.


I would also start applying some of my research to develop my ideas.

I would then actually start designing some mocks of my designs

Test

No comments: