Sunday 1 March 2009

A quick recap of my book development, 'Is a squirrel male or female?'



At this point in the process I came up with a book idea, a name, I gathered the content, organized the content for editing, worked with samples type and layout designs for the book.


 I have an idea for a book, to capture a random conversation in a day and then recreate it visually through different styles or types of typography. 

I recorded a conversation on an audio recorder, taken the words down on paper and organized the content. 

The actual conversation was between myself and a couple of classmates. It was a misunderstanding about language. We started talking about the word 'love'.  My friend asked me if love was male or female. I told her I thought it was female because women express it much more than men. 
At one point we began talking about squirrels and if they were male or female. My friend asked me if a squirrel was a male or female and I said, "it is just a squirrel, the squirrel". 

I then realized she wasn't asking about a feeling of sorts, but a language question! 

In some cultures and languages, like french or spanish for example, certain items are considered male or female, where in the english language there are not. Unless you are aware of the sex of the squirrel,  a squirrel is just a squirrel, or the squirrel. 

Nonetheless, the conversation is worth recreating and I am passionate about bringing it back to life again.  

The title of the book is, ' Is a squirrel male or female?'


I started asking myself, how am I going to visually convey the feeling of this conversation? I started organizing  the conversation into pages and pages into sections.  I started looking through all the work out and realized I had a great deal of information and would have to cut the conversation down a bit or find a way in which I can design my book in a more condensed form. I think I have about 32 pages and need to cut them in half. With this information I will probably revamp the size of the pages as well as the content I will place on each page.

I am experimenting with different kinds of typefaces, handwritten and existing type. The following are samples of page layouts using existing typefaces. Because I want to have a book that folds out into a poster layout, I have been working through types of layouts that will best work with this style.


This is an 8 page layout sample of what I think will work. 


When the viewer gets to the end, the person will flip the book and the conversation picks back up on the opposite side. 



When the viewer opens the book like this on the opposite side will have the entire conversation in poster layout design.





Back of book, the poster layout page

2 comments:

Honadesign@yahoo.com said...

hi hun ,Weldon with the layout deign I really liked it specially the sequences and the way we have to fallow the conversation however I want to be honest with you for me after reaching the point wear you say I think so... I lost the connection I mean i couldn't fallow anymore it was a bit confusing however I know ur users will read the text first then the poster but i just wanted to let you know ;)
but its really nice visuals. looking forward to see more ;)

Mary Anne said...

No worries. It is just a layout plan, not my final design. I will be adding more information soon.