Tuesday 3 February 2009

Examples of my research and design development

Talking heads brought to typographic life

Words were created by man, symbols to communicate a meaning or feeling. Words are means in which people can connect with others with ease. Words, letters  are just that, symbols and can be seen in many different ways. The word love for example, can be used in many different ways and many different meanings. I love my mom, sister, best friend, hairdresser, aunt and cat in different degrees. Working on this project I want to experiment with the feeling of the conversation instead of the actual words/symbols.

Studies have shown that if a person loses one of their senses the others get stronger. What if we lose the meanings of symbols, words and letters? How am I going to explain what I am thinking and feeling and put them on paper? Will it be a photograph, lines, colors, textures or taking the existing alphabet and using it in a new and different way to tell what I am going through or what I just heard this morning over breakfast?...

These are just thoughts of course. I am brainstorming, trying to come up with a way in which I will go about creating and communicating my project design. This is a collection of my thoughts about my subject and in no manner perfect in explanation. These are for me to build my ideas....

 

With my conversation idea I want to use type to show a visual feeling of a conversation rather than the actual words that are being said. I plan on taking an audio tape recorder and copying my day's conversations and connections with people.  I am not that far in my design so I rely on prior memories to create samples. 

One example might be a conversation I had a week ago:


I was walking down the sidewalk in Camden talking with my friend, just enjoying the evening. The conversation was light.





The next second I am looking into the eyes of Justin Furstenfeld, the lead singer of Blue October (an amazing band!). I was shocked about being in this situation.
I opened my mouth and all that came out was, "Oh shit!"

There were a few words between us, we shook hands and went our separate ways.



 
My friend and I talked about all the things I could have said to him; "you are an amazing artist", "I love your band", but I didn't. My mind froze. 



 


No comments: