Sunday 7 December 2008

Pennington, Mary Anne
University of Westminster, Harrow UK
MA Design For Communications
Design for Elegant Frugality, Sustainable Graphic Design

Reflecting back on my project I am more aware of my strengths and weaknesses in my research and design process.


I chose my design brief and obtained the background information and time limits. I began examining the brief. I defined the subject matter and went on the various sites listed on my brief to find more specific information about my project. I contacted several companies and resources that were listed on the brief for more information. I researched the competition in the area of this design as well as where the need was for this communication solution. I started asking questions in every place that might have answers.

I found it most helpful to ask as many questions as possible about my subject matter. The more people I contacted, the more helpful advice I received. I was able to gather a vast amount of data on my subject from the resources and companies listed on my design brief.

I feel I was strong in gathering enough information needed to move further in my project. The resources were there and as long as I was willing to look for them and ask for help I received the information needed.

There was great importance in my using my team collaboration (classmates, instructors and friends) for advice along the way. My ability to be flexible and open minded played a role in working through my research and design process. When I realized my project might go in another direction or the information changed, my project changed with it. I allowed it to do so instead of fighting it or letting my own opinions get in the way. I questioned my direction and the information I gathered often, which kept me on track as well.


I gathered an ample amount of data in my secondary research. I researched different routes and tasks to ensure I had adequate data on my subject matter. I interviewed roommates, school employees, housing faculty, classmates, family members and instructors about my work in order to get feed back. I came up with several ideas and concepts, which I then had to break apart and question the effectiveness in communicating my message.

I feel I spent a sufficient amount of time researching different areas of frugality and sustainability. I did get caught up in a vast amount of different ideas and it took me quite some time to find my actual means to which I would communicate the best solution. I did go back to my brief often to make sure I was keeping on track. I broke my ideas down and looked local for the answers and that is what helped me to focus in on one main issue. I felt the beginning steps of my research were the most challenging because I had so many ideas and I found myself going in too many directions instead of focusing on a few strong ideas. That is when I found my mapping most helpful.


I sketched out maps on large poster paper. As I received information I would add it to my map. My map changed a few times over my research process. One thing I did was writing myself notes and actions, which I placed beside my map, to keep me on task. Regardless of where I was in my research, I could look back on my notes to guide me. My mapping is still an ongoing process and I feel it takes time to get down a strong method.


I then gathered all the information I had thus far to get a clear image of my subject. To create my concepts I needed to gain as much feedback as possible at this point. I also was strong in collecting as much information together as possible so when I presented my idea there would be a strong view of the final outcome. I received feedback and reworked my vision to get a bolder picture. I found that getting feed back from my work was helpful in stepping away from it myself was beneficial. I welcomed people to critique my work. This helped me to envision working as a team in future business.


Part of my concept was writing my statement, which I felt made a huge difference in my final steps in production. I did find it difficult to clarify my statement at first as I felt as soon as I did it would be set in stone. I found that once I stated what my project was, a book design, I was actually able to make changes to it and move ahead. I feel better about going into future projects knowing I can make changes at this point without worry.


I was most comfortable with the developing and the producing of my design. I collected my information thus far and used it to create my message.I created a sketch of layouts, stories and information that I would place in my book layout.


I learned throughout this entire process that I am more able to organize my time. It gave me confidence in designing an effective communication design in a specific time frame. I will continue to work on my mapping system and organizing my beginning research methods including more incisive questions in collecting data so I can bring my ideas together in a more rapid way as well as focus on clarifying my projects.

No comments: