Monday 20 October 2008

A process for design research and a few rambling comments...Yes, this is a work in progress

My first step is to research my subject. The more I know the better I can grasp the project. At this point research is key!!
Before the brief I want to know as much about the subject and client as possible.
It is like an interview really. I never go in an interview without researching the people I am interviewing with. I need to be able to ask questions as well as answer them regarding the position and the company. Is this a company I could work for, what do they pay, are they credible?

Research
-Define the problem
-Is this really a problem?
-What is causing the problem?
-Is there a need?
-Can it be improved?
-Begin to solve the problem


Ways in which I research:
I usually start with
Secondary Research
Know the company/client, the competition, the market, the need for the product, etc.

I look up as much as I can on the subject or company. I check out the web, magazines, I go to stores, check out the news

I sketch down or take notes of what I find and reference information for later use

Keep my mind open!

Primary Research

I look into my own experiences

I then step away from what I think or assume as a designer and
go to others for a new perspective. I like to ask friends and family members, etc. about what they think about the subject to get an idea of how people feel about the subject. We all think different about the same issues, so the more insight from others the better.

Usually the more answers I get the more questions I have about a subject. Then I begin looking in other avenues I then brainstorm ideas that are moving away from the normal ideas that are out there at the moment.

It is like taking a radio apart and seeing what really makes it work...and is there another way to put it together and in doing so will it work better or not as well?...Hhhmmm?...or maybe I shouldn't have taken this thing apart to begin with!?...Eeks!


Brief

Define what the client is really looking for
What direction
Cost-How much am I going to get for the work?
Time-How much time do I have to create the product?

Do I go ahead with the project or call in the troops?
(Some jobs are not for everyone. This is important to know before I move ahead. Is the company moving ahead; is there friction between me and the client, etc?)


If I decide this is a project I will get involved in I will give a pitch of my services and talk about cost, time, etc.

(In the past I have had bad experience in this area. I have waited too late in order to speak about finances. In the end I would spend way too much time, doing a great deal more work than expected and not getting paid near enough for the work I did. I feel this is a tough step, but needs to be brought up fairly early in the process.)



The design process
My first ideas or visions are not always the best ones...I have to hunt and look under every rock for answers. Just when you think you have the problem solved or have made the perfect product, something or someone comes along and throws a rock in the works so to speak, then you are back to square one.

Investigate/Brainstorming Solutions and development of Ideas
Sketch out ideas
Material-What is available and cost?
Function-What is the item for?
Appearance-What will it look like?
Construction-Can I make it or do I need other resources?


I
sketch out images or even make word lists to get my mind flowing for answers, names or words that are associated with the company or subject. I find sketching most helpful. I feel without it I am very limited as a designer. I can only explain so far in words and then I move to Paper to give people an idea of what I am talking about. People are visual and this helps a great deal

So, at this point I have a pretty clear image of what I am going for and am heading into designing the finished piece

Make it!
Be sure it is
A FINAL PIECE!! An important step is to show the client the FINAL PIECE
Have the final printers, material, appearance, etc. in place

Present to the client/ Show my work!

No comments: