Tuesday 28 October 2008

One person's trash is another person's treasure!!!

Saturday, 25/10/2008

I agreed to help a few friends in the journalism course with a project there were working on over the weekend. They were interested in filming and interviewing students that were in fashion design, etcetera. They were really interested in my messenger bag designs and that I reused many materials to create my bags. They were also going to meet with Traid, which is a company that actually takes in recycled clothing and revamps them into great fashion pieces to then resell.
http://www.traid.org.uk


This is for a great cause!!

We met up on Saturday and the crew filmed me shopping for material and supplies for my bags as well as interviewing me about my craft.


We ended up doing two shoots, Our first shoot was at a second-hand shop to look for material. The second shoot would be filming me actually sewing a bag.


The shop was great and everything there was £2, some items were less! Before I left the shop I purchased some amazing pieces including these rusty orange trousers, which happen to be Banana Republic brand. I paid about £2 for them and I am sure they sold in the store for over £70. easy..They will be grand material for a messenger bag!









Later in the evening we all met up again for the second shoot. One of my friends actually gave me a pair of his old trousers that were torn for me to reuse for making bags! Very cool!







The crew














1 comment:

NATKA said...

Great Stuff, I was just reading about your bags and recycling of textiles, I will bring something on Thursday to show you. My Mom saw couple of things for me and Mia. Some of them are entirely made from reused materials and they are beautiful pieces of work. She made a cover for my bed which she used some parts made by my grandma(they were kept in a cupboard for ages), a cloth book and a toy alphabet for Mia, now she grabs different pieces of textiles and makes Mia a cover for her bed which will have the whole zoo on it. For some pieces she only spent an equivalent of a pound worth of stuff!
Thanks for your comments really useful!